Stillwater serenity in the amazing Adirondack Mountains
Prepare to experience paradise as you canoe, hike and portage through the breathtaking St. Regis Wilderness, the only designated canoe area in New York State.
With your fellow adventurers and professional Discover Outdoors guides, you will traverse the famous Route of the Seven Carries, a series of beautiful lakes and ponds connected by short carries or "portages." No experience is necessary to enjoy this adventure through nature's pristine waterways and wilderness. And, bring your boots because this trip also includes a hike to the stunning summit of St. Regis Mountain.
At night, enjoy s'mores by the campfire, recount your epic day with new friends and tuck into your tent with a view of the stars.
Your Discover Outdoors guide will meet you on the Upper West Side at the southeast corner of west 76th st. and Broadway at 6:45 AM. We will depart promptly at 7:00 AM and arrive at the lake in the afternoon.
Paddle to camp (two hours)
Hike St. Regis Mountain
Return to New York City by 8:00 PM
Canoeing and portage difficulty is rated as moderate.
DRIVE TO ST REGIS CANOE AREA, PADDLE TO CAMP
You'll meet your guide at 7:00 AM on the Upper West Side (Broadway and West 76th St) for a prompt 7:15 AM Departure. The drive to the Adirondack mountains will give you time to relax and you'll enjoy a brief lunch stop on the way. Upon arriving at the St. Regis canoe area, you'll be fitted for your PFDs and be given a brief intro to canoeing and paddling. Once you're settled into your boats, you'll paddle for approximately 2-3 hours before settling into camp for dinner, a campfire, and bed. Listen for the call of the famous loons as you drift off to sleep - a beautiful and haunting call sounding across the lake.
CANOE EXPLORATION AND HIKE ST REGIS MOUNTAIN
Get ready for one of the best sunrises you've ever seen. Nothing compares to the early morning light on the seculded lake side as you enjoy breakfast wtih the group. Today, you'll spend your time exploring the serene and remote wilderness around you. Your guides will lead you to new lakes and ponds and over challenging portages where you'll work with your boat-mate to carry your canoes and gear. This afternoon, you'll have the option to hike St. Regis Mountain or continue to explore the lakes before heading to a new camp for the night.
PADDLE OUT, RETURN TO NYC
This morning, we'll awake for a delicious breakfast before packing up camp. We'll paddle for about 2-3 hours and soak up a few more sites before we arrive at our take-out spot, load up our gear, and return to the city. We'll stop for one last group lunch before we get back to the Upper West Side, by approximately 8:00 PM.
TO WEAR (CANOEING)
- Moisture wicking or quick-drying shorts or pants
- Moisture wicking or quick drying top (sleeves recommended for sun protection)
- Suggested: Paddling jacket, light windbreaker, or dry top
- For women: synthetic sports bra or bathing suit top, bathing suit bottoms
- For men: bathing suit can be worn as bottoms
- Layers are recommended to account for changing conditions
- Synthetic, quick drying material only; no cotton
- Water shoes or old sneakers that can get wet and can be work to portage (no flip flops)
- Dry backpack or backpacking pack with dry bag (required, 50 L or more recommended)
- Backpacking tent (can be rented for additional fee)
- Sleeping bag (can be rented for additional fee)
- Sleeping pad (can be rented for additional fee)
- Headlamp or flashlight
- Basic first aid kit (band-aids, moleskin, etc)
- Bowl, mug, and utensil
- Bug spray
- Warm clothes for evening at camp (fleece, jacket, warm pants)
- Camelbak bladder or water bottles (3 L capacity)
- Additional snacks
- Money for meals on the road Friday and Sunday
- Hat with bug net (optional)