Here’s what you need
- Headlamp or flashlight (required)
- Ample snacks
- At least two liters of water
- Backpack. Need a recommendation? Check out Deuter!
- Weather-appropriate clothing. For a great selection and discounts, visit our partners
- Extra wool socks on the trail
- Trekking or ski poles
- A thermos of hot soup, tea, or coffee
- Hand / Foot warmers
- A dry set of clothes and shoes for the ride home (can be left in the van)
- Ski or snowboarding gear, including a warm, waterproof jacket
- Comfortable, moisture wicking base layers
- Waterproof hiking boots with wool socks (required)
- Warm hat
- Weatherproof Gloves
- Neck buff or balaclava
- Expert guides
- Park permits
- Snowshoe or microspike rental, depending on conditions
- Gratuity for your guide
Drive to Meet
Have your own transportation? Select the "drive to meet" option at check out. You'll meet your guide at the parking lot across from Greenwood Lake Marina in West Milford, NJ at 8:30 PM.
Ideal for active beginners
Level 4 trips balance physical and aesthetic components of the day. Get your heart pumping on intermediate terrain with some rock scrambles and multiple peaks, then enjoy a well-earned break with a stunning view. These trips are effective preparation for even more challenging weekend-long trips.
Trail time ranges from for four to six hours. You should be in good physical shape and exercise at least three times a week to get the most out of the day.
You’ll be traveling five to eight miles on this trip, the average distance run in an hour-long soccer game.
You’ll be hiking on steadily rising terrain with loose rock surfaces, switchbacks, roots and small boulders.
Up to 1,500 feet per day.
Up to 6,000 feet.
Weather conditions can be quite different from the city in the mountainous regions we visit. Temperatures can be quite cooler as we head north or to higher elevations. Keep your eyes out for an email from our team a few days in advance of your trip. That email will provide updated weather conditions and will alert you to anything additional you should put in your pack to prepare. We head outside in any weather, as long as we know it's safe, and we don't let a little rain or wind ruin a chance for an adventure. You can contact us at [email protected] if you have any questions about preparing for trail conditions.