Rock Climb the legendary Shawangunk Ridge
Never thought you could rock climb? Think again. No experience is necessary for this thrill of a lifetime in the legendary Shawangunk Ridge.
We'll begin the day with a beautiful drive into the heart of the Hudson Valley. Your experienced Discover Outdoors guides will find the ideal spot for the team and set everyone up for success along the world famous Gunks.
Throughout the day, your DO guides will be there to assist, encourage and guide the group as you all learn the ropes. There is no better view than a view well-earned, and you will earn these vistas while becoming a more fluid, focused climber.
Before you know it, you'll find the holds, belay like a pro and scale a rock face with grace. After exploring a variety of routes, it's back to the city, our heads held a little higher.
Beginner-level proficiency in rock climbing and skills including belaying, rappelling and knots
Leadership skills and practice working in team setting
Confidence from overcoming fears
Understanding the difference between perceived and real risk
Inspiration and curiosity
$159 per student
Van rental option including tolls, insurance and fuel: $400 per van.
Our passenger vans hold up to 13 students each.
Groups range from 6 to 30 people.
- Licensed and certified Discover Outdoors guides
- Rock climbing equipment: harness, shoes, helmet, ropes, gear
- Rock climbing instruction
- Park and destination fees
- Liability insurance
7:30 Meet at your school
7:45 Departure and drive through the Hudson Valley
9:30 Arrive at the cliffs
9:45 Rock climbing instruction
10:00 Rock climbing and team discussion
1:30 Return departure
3:30 Arrive at your school
- Lunch and snacks
- At least two liters of water
- Weather appropriate clothing
- Appropriate for the season. Wear snug, comfortable athletic clothing that allows you to move freely (no jeans).
- Shorts or pants—preferably nylon/synthetic stretch
- Rain jacket—Gore-Tex or comparable material
- Fleece or similar jacket
- Hat and gloves—depending on the season