Embrace the winter season
Embrace winter through adventure on a magnificent snowshoe hike. With snowshoes, you can venture farther and explore the peaks and valleys of our great local parks. Trails, summits and difficulty levels are determined by the age group. Younger grades will experience the beauty of Harriman and Fahnestock State Parks, while experienced high school students with demonstrated fitness levels will tackle the peaks in the Catskill Mountains.
Beginner-level proficiency in snowshoeing
Leadership skills and practice working in team setting
Knowledge about winter flora and fauna
Respect for nature and how it can be applied to respect for our community
Inspiration and curiosity
$59 per student
Van rental option including tolls, insurance and fuel: $400 per van.
Our passenger vans hold up to 13 students each.
Groups range from 6 to 80 people.
- Licensed and certified Discover Outdoors guides
- Snowshoe instruction
- Park and destination fees
- Liability insurance
7:45 Meet at your school
8:00 Departure and scenic drive through the Hudson Valley
9:15 Arrive at trailhead and briefing
9:30 Guided snowshoeing with summit lunch
2:00 Return departure
3:30 Arrive at school
- Your lunch
- Ample snacks
- At least two liters of water
- A thermos of hot soup, tea, or coffee is recommended
- A backpack. Need a recommendation? Meet Gregory.
- Weather-appropriate clothing. For a great selection, visit Kuhl.
- Hat, gloves, an extra pair of wool socks
- Hand / Foot warmers
- A dry set of clothes and shoes for the ride home (can be left in the van)
- Ski or snowboarding gear, including a warm, waterproof jacket
- Comfortable athletic clothing underneath
- Waterproof hiking boots with wool socks (required)
- Gaiters are recommended to keep snow out of your boots
- Hat, gloves, scarf